Wednesday 20 June 2007

The Roots of Fathers Day

We had Father's Day in England last Sunday, and I suppose I took it for granted that it was another American tradition, that for commercial reasons, had crossed the pond, and I really didn't want to subscribe to that. I therefore have to admit that when the children were growing up I really begrudged having to spend precious grocery money on cards and presents that my husband either didn't want or need. But now that the children are grown and we are grandparents, I look back and shudder at my cold blooded attitude to what has become a joyous occasion.

The birthplace of Father's Day in America is Fairmont, West Virginia. In 1908, more than 1,000 were newly fatherless, their lives blown apart a few months earlier in nearby Monongah by the worst coal mining disaster in American history. Of the 361 men killed in the blast on Dec. 6, 1907, some 250 were fathers. One daughter created Father's Day to remember and honour these men by a special holiday and we are still honouring our father's a hundred years later, and long may the tradition continue.

From somewhere in her heart our daughter decided to honour her father by visiting, bringing a beautiful card and baking him a wonderful cake, and I bless her for this. My husband's face was a picture that I don't think I will forget in a long time. She treasures the time that she has with her father, and now happily entrusts her daughter's well being to him whenever she can. My own father died at the early age of 58, and I think that she is aware that time is precious, and every kindness that she shows is her way of giving us positive energy. In the best way that we can, we too allow positive energy to flow, we have learned how to love unconditionally. This wasn't an easy lesson to learn as both my husband and I were brought up in homes where criticism was the norm, and so we became highly critical of our own children, but persistent personal work has brought us to a different place.

If there is one lesson that I would teach the world if I could, it would be learn to love unconditionally, do you know, I think that this would solve all the world's problems, and families of love would spread their light, willingly honouring their parents and loving themselves.

If you want to learn how to love unconditionally visit: http://www.keystoattainment.net

1 comments:

Nomarless said...

I didn't know where father's day came from...great history lesson.

Sorry if you get by my place...I sorta of let the cat crawl out of the bag...But that is ok.

You listened and I appreciated that immensely.

So you think Mr. Blair can fix the Middle East? Just hearing that he's interested in that. Might be good for him...

I don't know much about the politics over your way, so I understand if you don't answer.