Thursday 3 May 2007

The Cat's Whiskers

Our cat Felix came to us because he had been abused and turned out of the house by a persistent alcoholic. His cries were so pitiful that I picked him up, put him under my arm and carried him home. I told the owner what I had done, and he didn't want him back. So here he was, a tiny black and white bundle, undernourished, riddled with worms and mentally scarred. I hadn't any idea what I could give him to eat, but I did have a tin of pilchards, which he ate within minutes and continued to eat any cat food that came his way, he wasn't fussy.

We gradually sorted his physical problems out, and had him neutered. He didn't grow much, and still remains a small cat, but the vet. wasn't worried about this, and so we continued to give him as much attention as we could until he settled down. We waited with anticipation for him to, 'settle down', he remains an incredibly scared cat. Any loud noise sees him running in terror, and he cowers when a plumber or electrition has to do a job in the house. He's happy with us though, but still demands attention with loud wails and pathetic cries. He has remembered that these noises worked well for him the last time he was in trouble, so he'll carry on making them. Of course, they still work because I feel sorry for him! That and the neighbours might think I'm ill treating him. He has however two very annoying traits. When he's been upset by another cat he sprays around the furniture, making his mark so that any other cat is quite sure that Felix lives here, and they are not welcome, and he's now terribly fussy about his food. We stand in the supermarket and debate what Felix might or might not like to eat this week, and don't seem to get it right very often. He prefers our food, and is so familiar with the word 'chicken' that we can't utter it in his presence or he wails at the 'fridge door. All the cat books tell us that we must ignore the spraying or he will become nervous, well I can't ignore it, and I'm the one that's nervous. Smelling and sniffing to make sure that there isn't a nasty smell.

I had no way of dealing with these problems. Even though the first thing I think of with a human is tapping, surely this wouldn't work with an animal, until I started to read other people's experiences with all sorts of animals on the emofree web site, and decided to try it myself. I had nothing to lose. I tapped three times on the set up point stating that I am Felix and then tapped myself for his nervousness, the change has been wonderful, he hasn't sprayed for ages. I also tap as him when, for no apparent reason, he won't eat the cat food provided. he demurely eats it, and we have peace in the house.

If you want to find out more about tapping for animals go to: http://www.keystoattainment.net and contact me for a chat.

1 comments:

Nomarless said...

My mother has quite a few cats...
like 8...surprisingly they get along pretty well.

I hope to stop by quite a bit