Saturday 5 May 2007

Contract for a Cat

Three days ago, whilst I was concentrating on something important, our cat Felix, started to pace the floor. He has a system whereby he paces one way, then the other and finally jumps up onto the chair to make a further nuisance of himself. Then you have to stop what you're doing and work out what he wants - food or fuss or to go out etc. In the end, he went outside. It was around 11 pm and it dawned on me. It was a full moon. The call of the wild if you like. (This subject is worth a blog on its own)
My point is that I tapped on the situation using the set up: "Even though I am irritated by the cat's performance...and have lost my concentration...", I was inspired to write about the cat and somehow poetry seemed to be the best medium. So, here goes.....

If only the cat would eat his food, instead of sitting there
Staring at me, as if to say "Gimme REAL chicken"
Or at least talk to me about it.
If he would - no promises, mind
We might come to some arrangement.

If only the cat would shut the door behind him
Instead of making the room cold, and me get up and do it.
I daresay he was born in a barn, but
It would make life a lot better if he would learn to do it
Or talk about it.
Then we might come to some arrangement

If only the cat would not jump on the bed
While I'm sleeping.
And stomp about in a trance.
Yes, he could have been a grape treader in a previous life
But it doesn't help - not talking about it.
If only he could.
We might come to some arrangement.

If only the cat would develop his own early warning system
When he's about to throw up over the carpet.
A two-second wail isn't enough for me
To get the front door open in time.
Another five or six seconds and we might just be able
To come to some arrangement.

If only I could simply appreciate his warmth, love and affection
And silky black fur
And the way he licks my toes
And snuggles up for a well-earned cat nap
And the way he runs to meet me when I come home.
I'm not sure, but I have the feeling
Without putting too fine a point on it
That we might just be able to come to some arrangement.

To read more poetry by Richard Webb go to http://www.keystoattainment.net

0 comments: